Republican legislator Bob Thorpe has termed out of his post in the Arizona House and announced a run for District 4’s seat on the Coconino County Board of Supervisors. Thorpe has spent his 7 years in the legislature promoting legislation that impairs counties’ ability to run their local governments and supporting legislation that violates our fundamental values. Examples are restrictions on local control of vacation home rentals, restrictions of local governments’ ability to ban plastic bags, attempts to prevent students from voting where they actually live, opposition to health care expansion, and restricting liberty in our schools, colleges and universities. It’s unimaginable that a man who has championed these causes would be a good servant on our County Board.
- Our local landfill has a budget item of over $150,000 for cleaning up plastic bag debris that flies outside the landfill. Our cities and counties should be able to regulate the use of plastic bags.
- Our county and municipalities should be able to regulate rental properties to best fit the needs of surrounding residents.
- The U.S. Supreme Court settled the question of student voting in 1975, so Thorpe’s bill, had it passed, would only have cost taxpayers useless dollars attempting to defend an unconstitutional law.
- When Governor Jan Brewer expanded Medicaid, Bob Thorpe opposed it. He went so far as to join a frivolous lawsuit by other renegade Republicans to overturn their own Republican Governor’s policy. They lost. Medicaid expansion has been a boon to our County Health District, to Flagstaff Medical Center, and other rural hospitals throughout the state. Thorpe’s opposition put radical ideology over practicality.
- Also while in the legislature, Thorpe proposed a bill to prevent all schools, community colleges, and universities from teaching anything having to do with “social justice.” Such extremism is an affront to liberty as well as bad educational policy.
That’s Bob Thorpe’s legacy in the legislature. His government service should end there. Thorpe has no place on our County Board and I plan to campaign vigorously to oppose him.
Thank you for your support.